Sustainability at Highways UK
During 2019 we raised our game when it comes to sustainability. And with the guidance of our sustainability partner Skanska we have set out to achieve ISO 20121 by the 2021 edition of Highways UK.
We do understand that this is not an immediate 'fix' and we will have to progressively change not only our own, but importantly also the behaviours of our supply chain, clients and visitors. You can view our sustainability policy and strategy here.
In our first year on this journey we implemented the following initiatives, which will help us make a substantive start to delivering our medium-term objectives:
- Sharing sustainability policies with all suppliers and publishing where possible
- Encouraging visitors to adopt low carbon travel arrangements, including car sharing etc where appropriate
- Introducing more and higher profile recycling bins
- Removing plastic water bottles and using water fountains instead
- Implementing digital signage
- Using recyclable materials in all publications
- Reducing print volumes of event publications and encouraging visitors to return them when they leave for re-use by other visitors
If you have any thoughts about how you can help contribute to our sustainability drive, please email firstname.lastname@example.org